North Webster swells in population during the warmer summer months and the flow of visitors slows to a trickle as the cooler weather sets in around Mid-October. Although most people lament the end of summer, I live for these chilly fall days. I’ve lived in Northern Indiana for most of my life so the cold doesn’t phase me much anymore. Just because the temperatures are cooling off, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t still plenty of activities to enjoy during your stay at The Cozy Blue Cottage. Here are 5 chilly weather activities to plan for your fall vacation.
1) Take a hike through the fall colors. In October, the temperatures can get down to the 30s and 40s, which is tolerable if you’ve got enough layers on. So layer up, put on your long underwear and some cozy wool socks and hit the trails just steps from the door of the cottage. You’ll get to enjoy the fall colors first hand and may even get a peek at wildlife, such as deer, groundhogs, birds, and squirrels.
2) Go hunting for antiques. North Webster is chock full of antique stores only a few minutes down the road from the cottage. You can spend hours getting lost in the treasures of yesteryear. Go find yourself a unique souvenir to bring home with you and take a piece of North Webster history home!
3) Rent a boat. Many of the marinas on the lake rent boats by the hour or even day, if you’re feeling ambitious. The lake is particularly calm during the fall months. You’ll probably see herons and turtles skimming across the lake. Bring a good book and a blanket so you can cozy up and relax on the water.
4) Turn that oven on and make some sweet treats. The Cozy Blue Cottage has all of the basic kitchenware to get your started on your next baking adventure. What goes better with chilly weather than warm chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk? If experiencing nature and shopping aren’t really your preferred fall activities, you can make yourself a fresh pan of cookies or apple pie with local produce.
5) Just bundle up and stay inside. When it’s cold enough, there are some days you just don’t want to leave the cottage. If that’s the case, start yourself a fire and just stay inside all day. Grab a blanket and a book or just Netflix and chill all day – it’s up to you!
What are some of your favorite fall activities? Let me know in the comments below!